Monday, July 7, 2008

BAGS



I sit at my window watching

can't do anything else since
trying to fly from a bike....
collarbone and shoulder blade
kaput.


Recuperating, I sit and watch
from my cottage window
the old landlady as she goes
to and fro, on her way.


Visitors come and she
greets them in the patio,
at a table under an umbrella...


Never inside, oh no...
Never inside.


They come and she meets,
comes out with packages,
and they leave with same.
Always the same,


They come, she meets,
gives packages and they leave.
Never inside, never inside.


Rent day comes and I
knock upon the screen door
in the rear.


I call out.
No answer.
The door is not locked,


in I venture, calling,
and stepping into the kitchen...
I see.....


bags all over the floor.
on the table, on the fridge.
bags, with a narrow path
leading to the front,


which I take, calling.
Dining room...
bags all over
living room, calling,
bags on every flat surface
to be had.


Bags EVERYWHERE...
filled with.... beauty items!
On every table, chair, all over the floor,
bags...
filled with....soap, lotions, perfumes,


all peeking out of the top and...
the only thing competing for my attention
is the overwhelming smell of CATS.


Permeating the house is the all pervading aroma
of cat piss, etc.
They creep between the bags,
meowing happilly in their jungle of...
bags.


There is a path leading to the stairs
going up, but...
I'm not about to venture there.
I backtrack quietly....


musing upon the reason
she never brings anyone
inside....never...
Bags!


They come and she goes in.
brings out things from her
bags, and they go.


From one end of the house
to the other and probably
upstairs....
bags.


To this day...whenever I start
accumulating "stuff"
and it seems to pile up,


I must clean it up,
throw it out,
get rid of it,
before I become an ....

Avon Lady.

No comments: